Certified Dementia Trained Correctional Personnel® CDTCP®
This educational seminar is designed to educate Correctional Personnel working in a correctional medical facility who provides day-to-day care and/or management of inmates/patients that have symptoms of dementia-related to Alzheimer’s Disease or other related neurocognitive diseases/disorders.
How Do I Obtain Certification?
Complete the Correctional Personnel Dementia Curriculum presented by a CCPDT certified trainer.
Submit your CDTCP application
More About CDTCP®
- To provide fundamental education on dementia and dementia care within the medical correctional facility.
- To enhance the quality of life of dementia patients in the medical correctional facility by educating care providers
- Foster sensitivity and respect for the dementia client
- To teach communication techniques to utilize with the dementia client
- To provide sensitive approaches for assisting patients with activities of daily living in the medical correctional facility.
Correctional personnel will:
- Have an understanding of dementia
- Identify common causes of aggressive, repetitive, and sundowning behaviors in adults.
- Describe behavioral/care interventions that may be used to prevent or reduce difficult care situations.
- Describe challenges related to caregiver stress and utilize stress reduction techniques.
- Learn alternative activity interventions that are success-oriented and failure-free.
- Receive a certificate of attendance upon completion of the seminar.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introduction to Dementia: Diagnosis, Prognosis, and Treatment
Chapter 2: Communication and Feelings
Chapter 3: Depression and Repetitive Behaviors
Chapter 4: Delusions, Hallucinations, Hoarding, & Wandering (Walking Behavior)
Chapter 5: Aggressive Behaviors, Catastrophic Reactions, Intimacy, and Sexuality
Chapter 6: Personal Care: Pain, Bathing, Dressing, Toileting, Nutrition, Falls, and Sleep Disturbances
Chapter 7: Activities
Chapter 8: Environment
Chapter 9: Staff and Family Support
Chapter 10: Diversity and Cultural Competence
Chapter 11: Spiritual Care and End of Life Issues
Chapter 12: Bibliography
Chapter 13: Glossary and Resources
Login to your account and if eligible to renew, a renewal button will be visible on your account page. The renewal button will show up 60 days prior to the expiration date.
CDTCP® Frequently Asked Questions
Who should apply for CDTCP®?
Anyone working in the corrections field with at least one full year of experience.
What do I need to apply?
- One year of experience in the corrections field
- To be actively employed and in good standing at a corrections facility
- High school graduate at minimum
- Completed the Correctional Personnel Dementia CPDC curriculum by a CCPDT Trainer
What are the fees associated with this certification?
- Course fee is set by the trainer and can vary
- Application fee of $150.00 USD
- Renewal fee (every two years) of $150.00 USD